June thru Sept
Take an unforgettable day-long adventure on the pristine waters of the Bras d’Or Lakes central to Cape Breton Island and recently recognized by UNESCO as an official Biosphere Reserve. Meet your captain for a pre-departure briefing on board the Misty Cat to discuss the day’s wind and weather forecast, then help chart a course, given your preferences for sightseeing and on-the-water activities. And then set sail.
Itinerary options include a transit through the historic St. Peter’s canal which since 1865 has linked the Atlantic Ocean to the Bras d’Or Lakes; perhaps a sailing tour of island-studded Lennox Passage and its modern-day mussel farms on the ocean side, or a gentle reach up the St. Peter’s Inlet and into the Bras d’Or Lakes.
You’ll stop to anchor for a delicious lunch, and some swimming if you wish. Wherever you go, you’re bound to see Bald Eagles overhead, maybe some seals and pilot whales, herons along the shore, and stunning vistas of the coastline that you only get from a vantage point at sea.
Your captain offers his four decades of yachting experience to help new sailors take a turn at the helm and to handle the sail. Experienced sailors will enjoy the chance to command Misty Cat’s innovative wishbone rig. Or just relax aboard this surprisingly comfortable Nonsuch-class sailing yacht to enjoy the ride, the conversation and the scenery.
From $290/person, plus HST based on double occupancy. Taxes and gratuities extra.
Additional boat guests (total of 6 persons) and extra room nights may be added. See http://capebretonsailing.com/.
Your package includes:
- one night accommodations at the Inn (king size bed)
- access to hot tub until 10:00 pm
- day sailing excursions (advance booking required)
- delicious picnic lunch aboard the yacht
- à la carte three course dinner at the inn
- hot and cold buffet breakfast at the Inn
- one hour free bicycle, canoe or kayak rental
- board the Misty Cat at the St. Peter’s Canal just a few steps from the Inn at 10:30 am, return by about 4 pm